Bathroom pocket door help

Hello, I have a fairly new Model Z 3100 (purchased in April 2024). The bathroom pocket door rollers pulled out, so I need to fix the door. The screws used to attach the rollers to the top of the door are actually quite small, and seem inefficient to hold the two rollers to the door. I plan on reattaching them with beefier screws. I was able to get the roller off the track, now I just need to figure out how to remove that pocket door. The door lock has a rod that protrudes out the top of the door and prevents it from coming out. I could remove the trim board at the top, but don’t want to damage it trying to take it off. Also, once removed, it’s not clear (to me) how to reattach the trim board without surfacing nailing it which it doesn’t look like has been done to install it. I also wondered if by removing the lock, that the rod would slide down, and I could remove the door then. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remove the bathroom pocket door so that I can reattach the roller back to the top of the door? Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply, as I was traveling with our z3100 towards Portland OR. We are on a two month trip…

Anyways, our pocket door did the same thing as yours and i repaired while on the road. You will have to remove the inside top trim to get access to the release for the rollers. You are right on about the screw size as they are too small for the door as it is not a light weight.

Once the trim is removed, there are two levers that you release and that will allow you to take the door out. The catch does not interfere with the process. Once released you will have to pick up the door slightly and the pins will come out of the rollers.

With mine the maple insert was poorly glued and screws were way too short. I reglued the maple and also drilled and put in properly sized screws and reinstalled the door.

When you put the door back in, i used clear silicone after removing the factory sealants, and used two small screws at the bottom edge at corners to hold trim in place while it was curing. Once dry, screws removed, and looks just like it did from the factory.

Very simple fix once the trim piece is removed.

Hope this helps you out,

Jay

1 Like

Hi Jay,

Thanks so much for your reply. Your instructions are spot on, and well written. I sent a message to Brinkley customer support in addition to posting here, and got a response from them yesterday saying to remove the trim board (carefully :slight_smile: ) on the hall side of the pocket door. I decided to tackle the job yesterday afternoon. The only thing I would add to your instructions is to remove the caulking before attempting to remove the trim board. That caulking holds it in place some too, so removing it makes the board come off easier and cleaner. I first cut it with a box cutter, and then used a plastic scraper to remove it. The pocket door comes out easily once that trim is removed. I was able to get a better look at the top of the door once it was removed. There is a channel in the top of the door where they had a piece of wood. In my case, that piece of wood looked to be pine or spruce, not maple. The issue was that piece of wood cracked, and broke off in two place, where the rollers where attached to it. I removed the remaining piece that was still in the channel, and replace it with a solid piece of oak. Then I attached the rollers to the piece of oak. The door went back up pretty easily, and works great. I didn’t put the trim board back yet, I was happy to get a working pocket door again, and didn’t want to push my luck. I’ll replace the trim today or tomorrow. I’ll follow your instructions for replacing it. Thanks again for responding to my post. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim

1 Like