Looking to add surge protector, where to install it?

Anyone done a surge protector install yet? I would love to understand where the best place to install it. I was thinking the wet bay but want to try to leave the cords stock and not have go cut into them if at all possible.

I never felt comfortable putting a high quality surpressor on the pedestal; 3 reasons. First, it would not “protect” you if your powercord was damaged. Second, possible theft. Third, having this additional step at each landing/departure. I elected to put THIS one inside my basement, behind the closed panels. I like it as it has a bluetooth interface to alert you of status. Interestingly, I have found that when campground power is faulty, this specific unit won’t power up and without power the bluetooth does not work. This means there is no way to determine what is wrong. But so what, I like the simplicity of it. Next, I cut the 6/3 wire kinda in the middle between its entrance into trailer and the fuse box. I put THESE ends on and “just” plugged in the protector. Now if the protector ever failed; I can rectify the situation then plug these connectors together and otherwise bypass the failed protector.

1 Like

Can’t you just tie it in at the junction box in the wet bay without cutting?

I wouldn’t put a plug-in surge protector as a hardwire device in a moving vehicle. It was not designed to be positive locked, shaking going down the road will eventually loosen the connections and you can cause a bigger problem.

Progressive Industries hardwire units have a bypass if the surge module fails. Many others hardwire units do as well.

In my z2900, I do have junction boxes (for setting up for generator) both in the front compartment and basement. There is a 6/3 wire that goes between them that is dead-ended on both ends. ie… there is nothing to “tie into”.

The male/female devices referenced have nice grips to assist in de-mating. I put a big tie-wrap thru that grip and around both so both connectors will not wiggle loose; that tie-wrap holds things together.

I had the hard wired progressive unit for many years in prior rigs. This is an excellent setup until you try to investigate a problem. At a CG we stayed at, one of the hot legs, at the pedestal, was very low voltage. Clearly that CG has a wiring problem in the ground. Because I had my bluetooth connection to my protector, I quickly saw one leg was zero and the protector would not pass any current. I had the CG folks disconnect the black hot leg (the ground shorted one) at their panel. Once they did that, I switched my pedestal connection from 50a to 30a and the protector was happy again and allowed power into rig. Could I have done this investigation with a DVM at the pedestal, yes and I did try that approach, but I feel much more comfortable with this protector vs the PI one.

I also think plugin as a hardwire is asking for trouble zip ties or not. It’s fine if it works for @wudwork but it should not be taken as general advice for the average owner.

I personally just purchased from Active Controls their hardwired soft start 50a kit with surge protection. So it is a coach wife soft start on both legs that the amount of soft start is adjustable with a Bluetooth app depending on what your electric source is. It has a full EMS and optional surge board that is user serviceable.

You can get it here

I don’t know about your rig but in the 3610 I checked mine and it had a loop wrapped in wire loom right at where the electrical entrance is (almost as if they planned for someone to install a surge protector in this location). For me it would be really easy to cut this and simply attach it to the hardwired surge protector.

If you want to go stock it would not be difficult to remove the existing wiring at the plug, add a new piece and go from the plug to the surge and then attach to the factory wiring that previously went into the inlet.

One of the nice things about the Hughes Autoformers Power Watchdog…they have a replaceable module. This would have a lot of money should you have a crippling surge. No need to buy an entirely new unit. Just replace the module!

And the watchdog has a pass though if it takes a hit. Once you reset it, it will show not protected but it still will allow power though, check for faulty park power and monitor for low or high voltage. Once you replace the board inside it will again protect against surges.

Couldn’t one zip tie the plugs together?

I would rather just hardwire mine in. If it fails, the units from Progressive Industries and Hughes all have bypass modes so unwiring it should’t be a concern.