Thermostat, thermostat, how many thermostats

Looking at the Z2900 (1280) at the lot and I see two thermostats

Then I looked at another Z2900 (1988) and there is only 1 thermostat.

Talked to the sales man who also talked to Rocky at Brinkley and he said:

The main AC which is the furrion chill cube will have a remote thermostat control (unless you have an older unit) and the bedroom has a sensor as well on the wall

Does anyone have one of these newer units (with just one thermostat) and can you comment on performance?

With the on going discussion about the inaccuracies of the thermostat, I’m wondering if this configuration will perform better or worse.

The difference is the new Model Z since late last year come with the new Furrion Chill Cube which is basically a RV mini split in technology. It features variable speed compressor so just like any other variable speed AC in a residential home you set the temperature and leave it. You don’t need a traditional thermostat. I assume a company like Cielo who makes IR “thermostat” like controllers for mini splits may add support for this. It’s just a matter of mapping IR commands from the remote.

So what you are seeing is probably an older rig with a pair of traditional AC’s which require that for operation. If they have the little black bump on the bottom that is the newer style Furrion controller which has the heating sensor at the wall. The bedroom Furrion AC will still get its measurement from the sensor in the return.

I think the issue like myself and others are having may be related to the 3610 and mostly in the mid-bunk. Does the 2900 have vents in the bedroom, because I think that helped those units disperse the air. The 3610 does not have vents anymore and only uses the dump which is what may been the root cause.

My 2900 does not have vents in the bed room. It does have a separate thermostat for the bed room AC. The AC in the living / kitchen area is the chill cube with a remote control. Furnace thermostat is in the hall after the stairs. Have not camped this year where we have been able to check AC performance.
I did speak to a rep. from Brinkley about this due to the model I ordered from had vents in the living room / kitchen area. He stated they made a model change at end of 2023 to the chill cube. He stated that the chill cube provided better air flow and cooling in testing over the traditional AC that they were using.
I guess we will see in July while camping at the beach.
Furnace worked perfect when camping with outside temperature between 31 for a high and 17 for a low.

The Furrion Chill Cube is amazing. I bet mfg. are going to have their hands full teaching people how to use variable speed units. As @thechazzz noted you put them temperature I and leave it alone. Don’t set schedules and turn it on or off.

I tested mine in ~80 degree heat and it cooled almost the entire unit. The bedroom is warmer as to be expected but not too bad.

I understand and agree with removing the ducting. Building Science 101 you don’t put your conditioned air in unconditioned space. You are fighting the heat causing condensation and in a RV’s case removing the all valuable insulation. Just a few years ago all the rage was racetrack ducts. Not only didn’t they work but it took up valuable insulation space.

The issue for me is the temperature is just not reading correctly from the AC unit. I get they fixed it for heating only with a sensor at the bottom of the thermostat but how does it really know what the room temperature is?

I haven’t picked up or had the ‘orientation’ on my new Z2900 (#1812) from the dealer yet because I’m having a second 370w panel, 3000w inverter, and a Gen Y gooseneck installed. I do recall seeing a round duct, maybe 5" in diam. on the bathroom ceiling and wondering if that was an AC duct from the bedroom AC. Has anyone else come across this apparent duct?

–Mike.

Brinkley RV AC is now mini-slit technology? Am I reading that right? If so that’s awesome!

1 Like